Listen or Subscribe
As creative entrepreneurs we are involved every day in the act of negotiating, whether it’s with ourselves or with others involved in or around our business. Negotiations is like every other skill in business, it takes practice to get it right. That’s why today I’m talking with expert author and speaker, Eldonna Lewis Fernandez about Essential Negotiation Skills for Food Bloggers. If you’re inspired to build your skills as a blogger, listen to my interview with Matt Armendariz on Building Your Skill for of Food Photography or to Lauren Grier as we discuss The Art of the Pitch.
Today’s guest is Eldonna (see link below), expert author of the book Think Like a Negotiator (see link below).
I get it. You may be thinking that you’re not involved with negotiations. Let me ask you a couple of questions:
- Have you ever hired a web developer? Even if you used a family member to develop your site, were you involved with telling him or her what you wanted for your site?
- Do you work with an assistant (virtual or in person)? Did you bargain a salary?
- Received free product from a brand?
- Have you ever pitched to a brand or worked on a sponsored post?
- Do you meet people for lunch and talk back and forth about where to go?
All of the above are various forms of negotiations. In fact, according to Eldonna even making decisions for yourself is an act of negotiation because you’re weighing your options and making a decision.
Since we’re all negotiating, why not be our best at it!
That’s what Eldonna and I are talking about today.
Our goal at ChoppedCon is to help you be your best. We hope this discussion on Essential Negotiation Skills for Food Bloggers is helpful to the important work you’re doing every day!
Now, go forth and Be Your Best You!
Featured Content – Essential Negotiation Skills for Food Bloggers
Here are some of the highlights of my discussion with Eldonna, where we discuss:
- How Eldonna first began her career heavily involved in negotiations
- Eldonna shares her examples of different negotiation styles
- We talk about tips to exercise your negotiations muscle
- Eldonna has examples of negotiation strategies
- Should you take the first offer?
- Do women have more difficulty with negotiations?
- Women own more than 50% of the small business in the U.S.
- Pattern interrupts can be an important part of breaking down stereotypes in negotiation
- Win-Win is an important goal for negotiations
This episode on Essential Negotiation Skills for Food Bloggers includes references to some resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Learn more about today’s guest, Eldonna Lewis Fernandez and check out her book How to Think Like a Negotiator
- Give Eldonna a shout-out on Twitter and Instagram to say thanks for the Chopped Podcast interview!
- Eldonna mentions the article by Sheryl Sandberg about the pushback women experience when negotiation in the workplace
- Related Episode: The Business Side of Food Blogging with Casey Benedict
- Connect with Chopped Academy Online: Instagram | Twitter
- Connect with Marly: Namely Marly | Instagram | Twitter
- Production, music, graphic art & sound design by Shawn Beelman
- Learn about future Chopped Podcast episodes and get some awesome tips on food blogging by subscribing to the ChoppedCon newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the bottom of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Thanks so much for listening to today’s podcast. I hope you found it informative and helpful to the work you do every day. Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the Chopped Podcast episodes by heading on over to iTunes to subscribe to the Chopped Podcast. While you’re there, provide a review and rating is a great way to help other podcast listeners find it too! That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!
This post may include affiliate links, based on our recommendations for our favorite products.