Listen or Subscribe
In the midst of all the work that needs to be done on a minute-by-minute basis, how in the world can you take time to stop and smell the roses? Maybe you’re saying to yourself, “Roses? What roses?” If that’s you, then listen to this interview about Finding Joy as a Blogger with life/executive coach and author, Jay Pryor.
If you’ve chosen the path of being a blogger, then you might want to put on your battle gear. Because being a blogger is an entrepreneurial venture. And there’s nothing like being an entrepreneur to uncover any self-doubt or other issues that need to be dealt with that sometimes takes the skill of a warrior to push through.
Life coach and author Jay Pryor reminds us in his book Lean Inside (see link below), that it’s really about enjoying the journey and learning to trust what’s already inside you.
Leaning inside is about understanding that there’s nothing out there that’s going to make me happy. It’s an inside job. — Jay Pryor
As bloggers we spend a lot of time learning how to do SEO, or social media sharing. We learn about what it takes grow our email list. We spend time figuring out how to improve our photography. We create e-books and recipes and participate in other creative endeavors. But how much time do we invest in understanding ourselves? That’s the question the Jay challenges you with.
For entrepreneurs, I cannot stress this enough when you get to know yourself and are willing to invest time in knowing yourself and knowing what makes you happy and knowing what brings you joy and you start investing in those things your business will take off. — Jay Pryor
But taking time to get to know yourself can seem like such a luxury. Right? That’s something for someone with more time on their hands. Not busy entrepreneurs who are bootstrapping their hobby into a business. Jay begs to differ.The more knowledge about yourself, the more happy you're going to be. — Jay Pryor #choppedpodcast Click To Tweet
Finding Clarity and Integrity as an Entrepreneur
We also talk about the concept of clarity and integrity. Clarity involves knowing your big WHY. Do you know what your purpose is and what inspires you to go at this day after day? Without the answer to that question, you may find yourself floundering.
But don’t be too hard on yourself if you’re not there yet. Knowing your big WHY is something a lot of entrepreneurs grapple with, especially at the beginning. Sometimes it’s enough to know that your big WHY is on its way.Clarity and integrity are the two key functions for all people to be successful at anything at all. @jaypror #choppedpodcast Click To Tweet
The next issue is integrity. If you hear that word and think of some external set of rules you must live by, think again. Jay emphasizes that you are the one that creates your integrity. There’s no cheating on a diet when you’re the one creating your own integrity. How can you cheat against yourself?
So how do you set your own integrity? Know what helps you be your best and then find ways to be aligned with that. For example, Jay commits to staying away from sugary sweets. They don’t leave him feeling energetic like he wants. He also is committed to time with his family on Saturdays. That means he doesn’t read his email or engage on social media on Saturdays. That’s great advice. Everyone could use a day away from emails and the computer for at least one day each week.Being in alignment is what we're talking about when we're talking about integrity. — Jay Pryor #choppedpodcast Click To Tweet
Jay also encourages us to know our internal dialog. What kind of things are you telling yourself that can be holding you back? Jay discusses how a lot of his female clients will describe themselves as worriers. That is not a powerful dialog to have with oneself.
“Every time you say, ‘I’m a a worrier,’ stop yourself and change that to ‘I am a warrior’ so you’re out there ready to fight for what you want.” — Jay Pryor
Besides, being a worrier is really no way to run a life or a business. If you think about it, when you’re worrying, you’re making up scenarios and ruminating about them. If you’re going to make something up, why not let it be something good?Being a worrier means you are literally thinking of scenarios to scare the crap out of yourself on purpose. — Jay Pryor #choppedpodcast Click To Tweet
Our goal at ChoppedCon is to help you be your best. We hope these tips for finding joy as a blogger are helpful to the important work you’re doing every day!
Now, go forth and Be Your Best You!
Featured Content – Finding Joy as a Blogger with Jay Pryor
Here are some of the highlights of my discussion with Jay, where we discuss:
- Learn about Jay’s interest in food, primarily eating it!
- Jay is a life/executive coaches that focuses on creative entrepreneurs
- Jay shares some of the mistakes he sees creative entrepreneurs make
- We talk about the common struggles experienced by a lot of creative entrepreneurs
- Jay talks about the importance of knowing yourself to help you find the passion in your work
- Jay describes the importance of integrity and clarity for entrepreneurs
- Do you understand your physiology? Learn about how to increase your emotional intelligence to improve your business
- Jay talks about constant forgiveness and why it’s important to forgive your past so you can move forward to the present
- Create happiness in your life by giving up or choosing your battles on being right
- You create your integrity. What does it mean for you to live in integrity every day
- How to be a powerful entrepreneur!
This episode includes references to some resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Learn more about today’s guest, Jay Pryor on his site Jay Pryor Coaching
- Why not give Jay a shout-out on Twitter and say thanks for the Chopped Podcast interview!
- Get your copy of the book Lean Inside by Jay Pryor
- Related Episode: Check out Episode featuring Kristen Doyle talking about finding happiness in blogging.
- Connect with Chopped Academy Online: Instagram | Twitter
- Connect with Marly: Namely Marly | Instagram | Twitter
- Production, music, graphic art & sound design by Shawn Beelman
- Learn about future Chopped Podcast episodes by subscribing to the ChoppedCon newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the bottom of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Thanks so much for listening to today’s podcast. I hope you found it informative and helpful to the work you do every day. Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the Chopped Podcast episodes by heading on over to iTunes to subscribe to the Chopped Podcast. While you’re there, provide a review and rating is a great way to help other podcast listeners find it too! That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!