Listen or Subscribe
When your job is focused 100% on food, especially the tempting kind, it can seem nearly impossible to stick to a diet. You can begin your day feeling strong and inspired, but after looking at a gazillion photos of frosted cupcakes (thank you Instagram and Pinterest), one’s willpower begins to wane…or tank altogether. If you struggle with this side of operating a food blog, then you’ll lie today’s guest, Julianne Bayer, who is sharing her strategies for Maintaining Personal Health Goals as a Dessert Blogger. Listen in for the rest of the story!
Julianne shares how she lost 100 pounds and felt amazing as a result. And then she started a dessert blog. A really successful dessert blog. Julianne’s site, Beyond Frosting, has been featured on the Huffington Post, Parade Magazine, Cosmopolitan, Real Simple Magazine, and more.
As a blogger she has been more than happy with the results she’s achieved. However, Julianne gained about a third of her weight back after starting the dessert blog. Of course, there were other things going on as well, including a job that required a lot of travel. Staying healthy while traveling is not easy! Julianne had been private about her weight issues and was worried about posting about it on her site, but finally decided to tell her readers about her weight struggles. It’s a heartfelt post full of emotion and the realities of the hard work she put in to lose weight.
Oftentimes food bloggers can find sticking to their own personal health goals difficult. But when your blog is focused on dessert? That’s another topic altogether.
I think the most important thing is just not to get discouraged I think for me once I start seeing the results — and they don’t come right away — it took at least 3 weeks to see any movement on the scale — and I’m sitting over here going ‘what the heck, nothing’s changing”, but it is changing, it’s just taking time to catch up. — Julianne Bayer
If you’re inspired to find ways to stick to your personal health goals, listen in on today’s podcast episode.It's my journey to find better balance between my love of desserts and my need to lose weight. — Julianne Bayer on The Chopped Podcast Click To Tweet
Featured Content – Maintaining Personal Health Goals as a Food Bloger
Here are some of the highlights of my discussion with Julianne:
- How Julianne started her food blog Beyond Frosting
- Julianne’s story of losing 100 pounds
- How Julianne deals with having sweets around the house
- Why Julianne’s workmates love Mondays
- How transparency is not always easy, but can be a great source of connection with our readers
- How focusing on an achievable goal vs. thinking about the long run is important
- What to do when you fall “off track” on your healthy eating goals
- Julianne talks about her commitment to exercise
- We talk about our favorite ways to incorporate exercise into your every day life
- The exciting opportunities Beyond Frosting has opened up for Julianne
- Julianne talks about the importance of portion control to help her stay on track with her personal health goals
- We talk about how important it is to know your trigger points and to plan around them
- Julianne loves food photography and shares a few of her favorite tips
- Julianne’s favorite tips for encouraging other bloggers
This episode includes references to some resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Learn more about today’s guest, Julianne on her site Beyond Frosting
- Give a shout-out to Julianne and connect with her on Twitter and Instagram!
- Julianne references the Hungry Girls post on House Walking
- We talk about the book French Women Don’t Get Fat
- Julianne talks about the Erin Condren Life Planner to help herself stay organized
- Check out the interview with Liz Della Croce on Maintaining Health Goals as a Food Blogger
- Check out the Summary of the 2014 Chopped Conference for more testimonials
- Connect with Chopped Academy Online: Instagram | Twitter
- Connect with Marly: Namely Marly | Instagram | Twitter
- Production, music, graphic art & sound design by Shawn Beelman
- Learn about future Chopped Podcast episodes by subscribing to the ChoppedCon newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the bottom of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
- Tickets for the 2015 Chopped Conference are available. You can also attend a Food Photography Workshop with Matt Armendariz or participate in the dynamic Food Blog Success Summit. Take your food blog to the next level…learn more and buy your tickets today!
- Our next podcast interview is with Amanda Rettke of the site I Am Baker. Amanda and I are talking about the creative process with a lot of great information on how to bring out your muse on demand. Be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss it!
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Thanks so much for listening to today’s podcast. I hope you found it informative and helpful to the work you do every day. Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the Chopped Podcast episodes by heading on over to iTunes to subscribe to the Chopped Podcast. While you’re there, provide a review and rating is a great way to help other podcast listeners find it too! That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!