Listen or Subscribe
What is a food blog? Is it someone who does only recipes? Today we’re expanding horizons on the concept of food blogging by talking about The Secrets of a Food and Travel Blogger with Mayssam Samaha. Listen and read on for more!
Photo Credit: Mowie Kay
I’ve traveled internationally and have enjoyed learning about the different cuisines. But today’s guest, Mayssam Samaha does it like a pro. She has a food and travel blog where she shares about the experiences of the city and dining for the sites she travels all in an effort to help her readers have better travel experiences.
I’ve talked with several bloggers who are interested in expanding their scope to include travel. It’s an alluring topic, the idea of including travel writing. Mayssam talks about her unique approach to travel writing and the work that goes into the posts she creates about the cities and restaurants she visits.
There are a lot of tips to becoming a good travel writer. For example, how will you decide what restaurants you will review? Will you tell the restaurant that you’re reviewing them? How will you select which menu items to choose from. And, of course, there’s the question of how to take the best photos in low lighting situations typically found in most restaurants.
Our goal at ChoppedCon is to help you be your best. We hope these secrets of a food and travel blogger are helpful to the important work you’re doing every day!
Now, go forth and Be Your Best You!
Featured Content – Secrets of a Food and Travel Blogger with Mayssam Samaha
Here are some of the highlights of my discussion with Mayssam, where we discuss:
- Her inspiration for starting her blog Will Travel for Food
- How she became inspired to learn how to cook as a child
- The research that Mayssam uses to learn more about the city before she travels there
- The criteria Mayssam uses to select restaurants to review
- The process Mayssam uses for reviewing a restaurant
- How Mayssam promotes her content, including writing for local press
- Mayssam shares her tips for taking good photos in restaurants
- Mayssam talks about what skills you need to be a good food and travel blogger
- How Mayssam plans her travel
- What’s on Mayssam’s wish list for 2016?
- What’s Mayssam’s favorite places to travel to
- She talks about her content development process and social media as well.
This episode includes references to some resources you might find interesting. Here they are:
- Learn more about today’s guest, Mayssam Samaha on her site Will Travel for Food
- Mayssam shares how her site was nominated as one of Saveur’s best Culinary Travel Blogs
- Mayssam shares how she uses Google Maps to Plan a Trip
- Mayssam also recommends using the phone app CortexCam for low light restaurant photos
- Why not give Mayssam a shout-out on Twitter or Instagram and say thanks for the Chopped Podcast interview!
- Related Episode: Check out Episode featuring Gaby Dalkin talking about recipe development
- Connect with Chopped Academy Online: Instagram | Twitter
- Connect with Marly: Namely Marly | Instagram | Twitter
- Production, music, graphic art & sound design by Shawn Beelman
- Learn about future Chopped Podcast episodes by subscribing to the ChoppedCon newsletter. Just add your email in the subscribe section at the bottom of this page. You’ll be glad you did!
Subscribe to the Show & Feedback
Thanks so much for listening to today’s podcast. I hope you found it informative and helpful to the work you do every day. Make sure you don’t miss out on any of the Chopped Podcast episodes by heading on over to iTunes to subscribe to the Chopped Podcast. While you’re there, provide a review and rating is a great way to help other podcast listeners find it too! That’s it for today’s podcast. As always, thanks so much for joining in the discussion!
This post may include affiliate links, based on our recommendations for our favorite products.